Thursday, June 14, 2007

DECIDED!

It feels GREAT! To be decisive.



And yes...I have DECIDED.



Official Annoucement: (I realised that I have not officially blogged about my new 'life'!):



I will be working in HK for the next __ months? years? with JP Morgan.

Yes I have resigned from Credit Suisse and last day is on 22nd June (tts NEXT FRIDAY!).

N flying to HK on 1st July (prob the 3.25pm flight) and then, starting work on 3rd July.




Excited, nervous, jumpy, thrilled, worried, exhilarated. Its all coming. Can't describe how I am feeling but relocating is well..the next big thing in my life. Not that big, but quite big!



It is a dream come true for me. Since young, I have always wanted to live overseas, be it working or studying. The dream came true a little about 4 years back, when I went to Yellowstone for this work and travel program for about 3 months. Tt was definitely a milestone in my life. Although it was a short 3 months, it changed my perspective about this world a lot. There is just so much to learn, to experience, to see, to hear, to just simply soak in in this big big world. So I told myself, one of these days, I HAVE TO work outta this tiny island (which nevertheless I will always still look up to as my home of cos. Im patriotic ok!). N the opportunity came.....Thank God for that.



It all happened in a whirlwind. Sent in resume, 1st phone interview about 3 days later and then 2nd phone interview within the next 3 days. N BAM! I got the JOB!



The whole decision process to relocate was a tough one.

So many considerations, so many thoughts, so many opinions, so many yes and nos and nos and yes.



Finally, decided the answer is going to be to GO! here's why



1) Since Im still young...I can afford to take the risk. Whats the worst that could happen? I don't like the place, just fly back n job hunt again! The market's hot! Tts the worst I could think of. But of cos, perseverance finishes the race. I will persevere in all circumstances

And no risk no gain! N its a dream...n desire..since YOUNG!



2) I have the 101% support of my parents. There was this point in the decision making process that I nearly didnt want to go. Cos after doing all the serious calculations, it seems financially I am not any better off cos of taxes and rental (rental is like 1.7k SGD per months FAINTS). But my Dad smsed me like a 5 msg long sms that read:



"Mum amd me think that the new opportunity to work overseas may expand ur social n personal horizon and to network with pple in the foreign land. MONEY IS NOT EVERYTHING and CANNOT BUY TIME. My main concern is that you do not know how tot ake care of urself sometimes. We support your decision. If you tink that it is good for your future, take the initiative n go for it! We are all behind you.....JPM bank may have a rep office in Spore in the future?"



Wahaha! Tts Daddy Dearest..Fully Supportive, yet have a tinge of worry that I cannot take care of myself....and a worry that I will never come back to spore (look at that classic last sentence!) hahaha!! But FULL SUPPORT from my parents now mean a lot to me....



3) There was this morning, I woke up feeling really confused abt HK, n I prayed. Lord, please let somethign happen today that will convict me to make my decision according to your will. N well..what happened was, I was really upset about the package as JPM did not want to offer a relocation deal. (i even have to pay for my flight myself! faints) and frankly, I had asked before to no avail, n i always tot all hope is lost. But on that day, that very afternoon, amazingly, they agreed to pay for my ticket and a lump sum for relocation. Well, the amt is really not a lot...but I just felt that it convicted me that the Lord is telling me to place my trust in Him in this decision.



Well above are seriousresons...



Some beee baa booo reasons...HK is fuN and exciting! HK is a food (dim Sum!) and shopping haven. HK is easy to live in. HK is fast paced (yes I like a fast paced life. Leave the cow grazing days to old age!). HK is polluted buahaha.



N guess whaT? One of my uni frens, Freddy will be there till the end of the year and another ex DT colleague Stephen will be in Macau for 1.5 years!! So HAPPPYYY!!!!!



Thank God for my dear frens, a few of em have introduced me to their frens over email already!!! Looking fw to meet em in exciting HK!!!



N well..there was another saga the past 2 days...which explains my entry yesterday...

Well, basically, my director came to speak to me on Tuesday, counter offering me a role in CS HK. Offering better products, and higher pay, n brain washing me with all the good reasons to stay on in CS...so I was thrown into great confusion!!!



But last nite, I decided, I am leaving CS. Time to move on to JPM. Cant afford to disappoint those pple whom I have made a committment to in JPM. To me, signing a contract is a promise which I cannot bring myself to break!!!!!Unlike my director who told me 'I have signed 3 contracts but did not join the company in the end!' haha.



There are many pple, food, smells, noise that I will miss. That familiarity..That warmth..That closeness. But well, one must learn to leave his comfort zone for greater things I guess...

N I WILL BE BACK!!!!!

Smiles,
Fran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home